English Language Institute - University of Bridgeport
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
English Language (ESL)
Accreditation and Certification
EnglishUSA Member, NEASC
Type of Housing
- Social Media
Our ESL Program: A Global Reputation for Excellence
The English Language Institute | Study English on the Campus of an American University
Founded in 1991, the English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Bridgeport is a well-established intensive English as a Second Language program, with experienced teachers holding advanced degrees, a commitment to innovation and excellence in language instruction, and small classes of 3-15 students.
ELI students have access to all university resources and benefits. They benefit from being part of a global educational community in the United States.
We are located on the campus of the University of Bridgeport facing the playing fields, beaches, and picnic areas of Seaside Park on Long Island Sound. The city of Bridgeport is in the state of Connecticut on the east coast of the United States. Beautiful contemporary and traditional buildings grace the campus. New York City and the small cities and towns of Connecticut are a short train ride away.
Purpose and Mission
The English Language Institute prepares non-native English speakers for success in undergraduate and graduate programs, for careers in which English is useful or necessary, and for personal interest.
Our mission is promoting exchange and understanding among peoples of all nations by helping them improve their knowledge of the English language as a medium of international communication.
Accreditation and Memberships
The English Language Institute at the University of Bridgeport is accredited through NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges). ELI is a member of EnglishUSA (American Association of Intensive English Programs). Staff and faculty belong to the TESOL International Association.
Intensive English Program
ELI runs three semesters a year—Spring, Summer, and Fall. We offer four (4) curriculum levels:
- Beginning class is offered as needed for students who do not yet have the skills to start our regular program.
- Students are placed in a level by a placement test during Orientation or by a TOEFL or IELTS score submitted before they arrive.
- Multi paragraph essay Writing begins in Low Intermediate and progresses to writing research papers in Advanced
- Academic Reading skills at the appropriate level are addressed in all classes.
- Listening practice is provided by in-class audio and video as well as opportunities in the computer lab. High Intermediate and Advanced classes practice academic lecture listening and note-taking in preparation for university work.
- Speaking classes allow for formal and informal, individual and small group speaking tasks, and speaking opportunities are integrated into all skill classes.
- Every level studies all the major areas of Grammar.
- In person and online orientation to make students comfortable with studying and living in the U.S.A. and in our program.
- Cultural awareness is part of all classes so that students know how to be successful in a U.S. academic environment.
- All students can participate in informal conversation groups with American students after class.
- Students have the opportunity to visit university classes and attend campus lectures.
- The University of Bridgeport’s online learning platform supports ELI clases.
- Advanced students write and perform a skit, and prepare and participate in a semi-formal debate with an audience of their peers and/or university faculty.
- Students can be paired with a domestic student for friendship and English practice
- Special guided field trips for ELI students—New York City!
All University of Bridgeport facilities and activities are available to ELI students.
- Internet and Wifi throughout campus
- Dining facilities, residence halls, library
- Clubs, movies, trips, college sports events
- International Center office—immigration advising and cultural events
- Student Health Center on campus—convenient health care
- Free local transportation to downtown, regional train & bus connections
- Recreation Center with 6-lane pool, weight room, courts, martial arts studio
Students who are conditionally accepted into University of Bridgeport academic programs may study at ELI first. Students in Advanced can take academic classes at the same time. Students completing Advanced ELI meet the University of Bridgeport’s English language requirement.
University of Bridgeport
The University of Bridgeport (UB) is an international, doctoral intensive comprehensive university, with award-winning academic programs. At UB, students can earn degrees in over 120 innovative undergraduate and graduate degree programs and concentrations. A full listing of programs of study can be found at www.bridgeport.edu/academics.
We are among the United States’ strong international universities with 20 percent of our students coming from overseas. The University's commitment to educate students from throughout the world is recognized in the US News and World Report issue on colleges. With students from more than 80 countries who are active in student government, publications and clubs, the University of Bridgeport prides itself in being a real world "experience in globalization." Through its International Programs, the University provides academic, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities which support the University's commitment to promote global citizenship and a commitment to public service.
UB’s career-oriented programs provide exceptional opportunities for internships and placement in highly recognized national and international companies. UB enjoys one of the highest placement rates in the U.S. for students seeking positions for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Academic scholarships are available for qualified undergraduate students, ranging from $10,000 to $17,000 per year and for graduate students applying to programs in the College of Engineering, School of Business, and the College of Public and International Affairs ranging from $3,000 to $6,000.
Email address to request information: email@example.com
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport CT 06604