Mercer University English Language Institute
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
English Language (ESL), English for Specific Purposes Programs, English for Professionals
Accreditation and Certification
EnglishUSA Member, UCIEP Member, SACSCOC
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Homestay, Apartment
- Social Media
Why study at Mercer University’s English Language Institute?
When you choose the English Language Institute (ELI) at Mercer University, you will receive exceptional English instruction from experienced and dedicated faculty in one of the United States’ most dynamic cities. Our students have completed the ELI equipped with the skills and confidence to enter prestigious undergraduate and graduate programs across the globe, utilize their English in the workplace, and thrive in English-speaking social environments.
The ELI has a prime location in Atlanta, which is the largest city in the southeastern United States, with over five million people. Atlanta is the capital of the state of Georgia, known for its hospitality and great weather.
Many world-famous companies are based in Atlanta, including Coca-Cola, CNN, UPS, and the world’s busiest airport, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Atlanta is also home to many U.S. professional sports teams, tourist attractions like the Georgia Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park, and over 300 parks for outdoor recreation.
HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Intensive 2-month sessions with various start dates throughout the year
- Small class sizes with personal attention from instructors
- 6 levels of instruction, ranging from beginner to advanced
- Full-time courses in grammar/writing, listening/speaking, and reading/vocabulary
- Elective courses in presentation skills, research skills, TOEFL and IELTS prep, English through music, and more!
- Experienced and dedicated faculty and staff who are determined to help you succeed and reach your goals
- Conditional admission to select undergraduate and graduate programs at Mercer
- New English Language MBA for International Students
- Customizable instruction for special groups
- Located on a peaceful, secure campus just minutes from downtown Atlanta
The ELI curriculum follows an integrated approach with instruction in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar. In addition, students are able to select up to two elective classes , which includes subjects such as English through Music, English Conversation, Advanced Note Taking, IELTS Prep, and more.
All instructors have a minimum of a master’s degree and many years of experience teaching either in the U.S. or abroad.
This is a sample student schedule:
|9:00AM - 9:50AM||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing|
|10:00AM - 10:50AM||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing||Grammar & Writing|
|11:00AM - 11:50AM||Break||Elective||Break||Elective||Reading & Vocabulary|
|12:00PM - 12:50PM||Break||Break||Break||Break||Reading & Vocabulary|
|1:00PM - 1:50PM||Reading & Vocabulary||Listening & Speaking||Reading & Vocabulary||Listening & Speaking|
|2:00PM - 2:50PM||Reading & Vocabulary||Listening & Speaking||Reading & Vocabulary||Listening & Speaking|
We are happy to accept students at any time. However, please plan ahead and turn in your application well in advance of your desired start date.
|Fall 1 Session||Late August – Mid-October|
|Fall 2 Session||Late October – Mid/Late December|
|Spring 1 Session||Early January – Late February|
|Spring 2 Session||Early/Mid March – Late April|
|Summer 1 Session||Early/Mid-May – Late June|
|Summer 2 Session||Late June/Early July – Late August|
STUDENT SERVICES (HOUSING & CAMPUS LIFE)
ELI students can take full advantage of the student services offered at Mercer University. There are several housing options, including on-campus apartments, homestays, and nearby apartments. We can help you navigate the process of finding a place to stay.
Available student services:
- New student orientation
- Cafeteria, bookstore, computer labs
- Campus Healthcare Services
- University libraries
- Social and cultural activities and excursions
- Student Organizations and an ELI Leadership Group
- Weekly grocery trips
- Gymnasium, swimming pool, weight and fitness rooms, tennis courts, soccer fields
COSTS & FEES
|Application Fee||$150 (one-time only)|
|Mercer University’s ELI Tuition||$2125 (each 8-week session)|
|Mandatory Technology Fee||$75 (each 8-week session)|
|Mandatory Student Health Insurance||$320(each 8-week session)|
|Books||$75 - $150 (estimated)|
|Campus Housing||$1540 - $1710 (estimated for one 8-week session)|
|Homestay - includes transportation and meals||$1715 - $2115 (estimated for one 8-week session)|
We offer short-term and long-term programs throughout the year for special groups. Programs range from one week to six months or more.
Because we design each program tailored to the specific needs of each group, participants can be integrated within our existing ELI classes or have a completely separate schedule. In addition to the courses, we also offer supplementary opportunities including classroom observations, tutoring, seminars, conversation practice with community volunteers, partnerships with other campus departments, and hybrid courses.
We currently offer the following types of programs:
- English Communication & Culture
- ESL/EFL Teacher Training
- Business & Professional English
- English for health professionals, or other specialized fields
- Hybrid programs
Apply for this program now and go directly to our online application
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta GA 30341