Elgin Community College
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
$10,000 — $15,000 Year
- Type of School
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Business, Computer Science, Engineering
Type of Housing
TOEFL: No requirements, IELTS: No requirements
- Social Media
ECC has more than 40 accredited associate degree programs and a nationally recognized Intensive English Program. Our most popular programs include:
- Business Management
- Computer Science
- Culinary Arts
- English as a Second Language (ESL)/Intensive English
- Graphic Design
- Health Sciences
- Liberal Arts
The Intensive English Program follows the highly effective and innovative Focal Skills Approach which allows language skills to build on one another naturally. There are four modules – listening, reading, writing and pre-collegiate. The program can accommodate any level of English language proficiency, from beginning to end. In addition to the modules, students choose from a variety of electives to complete their schedules. After an initial placement, students are reassessed every four weeks with the potential to move to the next module which allows them to move quickly through the program.
Admissions – No TOEFL Required!
Applications can be submitted online through www.elgin.edu/f1apply or by postal mail. Students wishing to enter ECC as an international student on an F-1 visa must submit the following documents:
- International Student Application
- International Student Financial Agreement
- Non-refundable $50 Processing Fee (payable to Elgin Community College)
- Evidence of Financial Support/Bank statement showing available funds of $21,000 for first-year expenses at ECC, exclusive of travel expenses.
- Affidavit of Sponsorship
- Submission of high school/secondary transcript showing completion of at least 11 years of secondary education (equivalent to junior level standing in high school).
- Age 17 years or older by intended start date at ECC.
- Photocopy of Passport
- Transfer Release Form (if applicable)
The following items are optional and highly recommended:
- English Language Proficiency. Students who believe they satisfy the English language proficiency can submit proof of such proficiency by submitting a TOEFL of 71, an IELTS of 6.0, proof of graduation from a high school where English was the language of instruction, or successful completion of college-level English composition where English was the language of instruction.
- Certified Transcripts from All Postsecondary Institutions. Students who completed postsecondary courses (university, college, etc.) are strongly encouraged to submit official, English-translated copies of transcripts.
Located just west of Chicago, Illinois, Elgin Community College provides a dynamic educational experience on a picturesque, modern, and safe campus. The college provides small class sizes, quality instruction, affordable tuition, and involvement opportunities to build an impressive resume of accomplishment, initiative, and team-building. A state-of-the-art Academic Library and Health Life Sciences Center provide students with access to cutting edge technology. ECC is home to more than 11,000 students, with international students representing more than 20 countries.
ECC is located in Elgin, IL, which has a diverse multicultural and multilingual population and is one of the fastest growing communities in the area. Elgin offers convenient access to public transportation, highways and airports. Many students enjoy visiting Chicago, the third largest city in the United States, for its world-class cultural offerings and unique architecture.
Estimated Cost per Academic Year (in U.S. Dollars)
|Books/Supplies & Health Insurance||$1,390|
The above expenses are a minimum estimate for an academic year (fall and spring semesters only). ECC offers affordable, quality education with an emphasis on diversity, open-access and excellence. International students interested in applying for scholarships can apply online at www.elgin.edu/scholarships. Scholarships are limited, and selection is competitive.
- Comprehensive international student orientation and activities
- Individual counseling on academic matters and university transfers
- Friendly, professional advising on F-1 visa regulations and policies
- Free tutoring provided by degreed, professional tutors
- Cultural activities and programs on/off campus
- International student associations/clubs
- Phi Theta Kappa (honor society)
- Student Government
ECC offers a homestay program for international students. The International Student Homestay Program provides a unique opportunity for full-time international students on an F-1 visa to reside in an American home as a member of the family. Students have the opportunity to participate in American life and customs, improve their English, and engage in activities in the community. Homestay is competitively priced and offers short- and long-term housing options. Monthly fees range from $600.00-$800.00 USD, and transportation can be provided.
Apartments are also available for rent near campus. Students should note that, similar to many community colleges, the institution does not have residential housing on-campus.
Top 5 Transfer Universities
- University of Illinois – Urbana/Champaign (IL)
- Illinois State University (IL)
- Judson University (IL)
- Northern Illinois University (IL)
- University of Illinois – Chicago (IL)
Want to transfer to a university not on this list? We can create an educational plan to help make a seamless transfer a reality. Many students have transferred to universities outside of Illinois, including the University of Wisconsin system, University of Michigan, University of Notre Dame, University of California system, and many others.
Center for International Education and Programs
1700 Spartan Drive
Elgin IL 60123