University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
$10,000 — $15,000 Semester
- Type of School
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Computer Science, Engineering, English Language (ESL)
Accreditation and Certification
EnglishUSA Member, SACS
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
TOEFL: 70 + , IELTS: Band 6.5 +
- Social Media
Welcome to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette—the perfect place to study abroad!
Our campus enrolls a diverse student body of more than 19,000 students each year from all 50 states, including 600+ international students from over 80 countries. We offer students a high-quality education at an affordable cost.
Outstanding Academic Programs
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a public, Doctoral/Research-Intensive institution offering over 80 undergraduate, more than 30 master's and 10 doctoral degree programs through the following colleges:
- College of the Arts
- B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of General Studies
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Nursing and Allied Health Professions
- Ray P. Authement College of Sciences
- Graduate School
- The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is featured in the 2017 edition of the Princeton’s Review’s The Best 381 Colleges. Robert Franek, Princeton Review’s Senior Vice President-Publisher indicated that “UL Lafayette’s outstanding academics are the chief reason we chose it for this book and we strongly recommend it to applicants.” Only about 15 percent of America’s 2,500 four-year colleges are profiled in the college guide.
- UL Lafayette is one of only 15 schools in the nation that offer a petroleum engineering curriculum. The College of Engineering offers the first Ph.D. in systems engineering in Louisiana.
- Over the past 20 years, graduates of the College of Nursing and Allied Health Professions have achieved first-time pass rates for the National Council Examination for Registered Nurses and consistently exceed national and state averages.
- UL Lafayette is among the top 10 universities in the United States for its percentage of research and development expenditures funded by business, according to the National Science Foundation.
- Since 2005 UL Lafayette students and faculty have been developing new versions of CajunBot, the university's autonomous vehicle that competes for the U.S. Department of Defense’s DARPA Grand Challenge. CajunBotII is a robotic jeep that uses artificial intelligence and GPS positioning to navigate a designated route while detecting and avoiding obstacles.
- USA Today nominated 20 U.S. cities for its 10 Best Reader’s Choice contest for Best College Town Weekend. Lafayette, LA was voted No. 1! In 2014, professors from Harvard and the Vancouver School determined that Lafayette was the ‘happiest’ city in the United States.
|Room & Board||$5,150.00|
|Subtotal||$18,750.00||per semester (*12 credit hours)|
*Includes classes, admission to athletic events, student-assessed fees, limited health/accident insurance, and an identification card. All costs are based on undergraduate tuition and fees and are approximate and subject to change.
Services for International Students
- Academic and immigration advising
- Airport pick-up
- Organized educational trips to places of interest
- Ragin Pal Program that matches students with American peers, giving students an inside view of American life
- A Global Education Program that provides international students with a forum to speak about their country and culture to community groups
- International Hour – a social gathering for international and American students every other Friday during fall and spring semesters
Great Location and Climate
- Located in Lafayette, a city of 125,000, about 2 hours from New Orleans and 4 hours from Houston
- Low cost-of-living
- Mild sub-tropical climate
- The heart of "Cajun Country” – an area of Louisiana with strong French subculture
Students can apply online for undergraduate or graduate admission. International applicants must submit certified official copies of all academic records and have an official TOEFL iBT of 70 (undergraduate), 81 (graduate) or IELTS score of 6.5. Graduate applicants must also provide GRE scores or GMAT scores (MBA applicants only).
Students who do not meet the TOEFL requirement may enroll in the Intensive English Program (IEP) at UL Lafayette and remain in the IEP until they have successfully completed the highest level and passed the English Exit Exam.
Intensive English Program
The Intensive English Program (IEP) at UL Lafayette prepares non-English speaking students for admission into the university through intensive English courses designed to meet the basic requirements for most universities. Once students have graduated from Level 6 at the IEP, they can apply for admission to UL Lafayette without taking the TOEFL iBT or IELTS.
- Six levels (beginning – advanced)
- Each level takes 8 weeks to complete
- 20 hours of instruction per week
- Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Listening/Speaking classes
- Essay and research paper preparation
- Qualified and experienced ESL teachers
- Small class size
- Affordable costs
- Conversational practice and extracurricular activities
- Access to University of Louisiana at Lafayette facilities
Interested applicants can apply online.
Office of International Affairs
P.O. Box 43932
Lafayette LA 70504-3932