Austin Peay State University
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Computer Science, Education, English Language (ESL)
City, Small/College town
Accreditation and Certification
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
TOEFL: 60 +, IELTS: Band 5.5 +
- Social Media
Austin Peay State University is located in the heart of historic downtown Clarksville, Tennessee, just 45 minutes northwest of Nashville. Clarksville, a city of more than 150,000 people, is surrounded by natural beauty, the amenities of city living and an array of opportunities for outdoor recreation. APSU is a four-year public, master’s level university offering over 56 majors and 63+ concentrations. With over 10,000 students, Austin Peay continues to pride itself on promoting diversity, appreciation of all cultures and respect for all persons. The 172-acre main campus strikes a balance between lush green space and state-of-the-art facilities, including one of the state’s premier science education complexes, a fitness center and village-style student apartments.
Bachelor and Graduate degrees
Austin Peay offers more than 56 majors and 63 different concentrations to choose from in both the undergraduate and graduate levels. All programs are designed to promote critical thinking, communication skills, creativity , and leadership. With the average student to professor ratio of 19.1, students have the advantage of a small and more intimate classroom environment.
- Semester intake dates include the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters
- Merit scholarships are available to all undergraduate and graduate students. For more information, please see here: http://www.apsu.edu/international/Scholarships.php
- APSU offers over 130 student organziations
- Division I athletic teams (Ohio Valley Conference)
The ESL Institute’s non-credit intensive English language program was created in 1998 to ensure students are prepared for the rigors of a university classroom experience, such as strong writing skills and the comprehension of lectures and reading materials. These same skills are also essential for developing greater career opportunities in the professional world.
- Five 7-week terms each year, Fall 1 (August-October), Fall 2 (October –December), Spring 1 (January-March), Spring 2 (March-May) and Summer
- Small classes, between 4-14 students, to provide students with more personalized attention and opportunities to improve their learning skills
- Classes held Monday through Friday, with no classes on Friday afternoons, for a total of 20 hours of class each week.
- Available computer lab with language learning software along with TOEFL and IETLS practice tests and study guides
- Qualified instructors with extensive experience in teaching English to non-English speakers both in the U.S. and abroad
A basic knowledge of English is desirable in order to benefit from the intensive level of study in the program.
Opportunities for Students
- Full-time students may apply to live in campus residence halls and fully participate in campus life and activities, including access to the library, fitness and recreation center, athletic events, student organizations and more.
- The Office of International Student Services and the English as a Second Language Insitute organizes various events and activities on and off campus in Clarksville, nearby Nashville and surround area each term for all international and English language students.
- Conversation partners are fluent English-speaking APSU students, faculty and staff who volunteer to partner with students, promoting practice of the English language in natural conversation and participation in various campus activities and events.
Customized Short-Term Programs
The ESL Institute also develops customized programs for groups, companies, institutions and other individuals. These programs are very flexible in length and content. Contact the Institute for more information on customized short-term programs.
Austin Peay State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The Director of Affirmative Action has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and can be reached at 601 College Street, Browning Bldg. Room 7A, Clarksville, TN 37044, 931-221-7178, email@example.com.
601 College Street
Clarksville TN 37044